Wednesday, November 17, 2010

decorating our ceremony space

The future mister and I will be getting married in a brick-walled "sunken garden" surrounded by beautiful foliage. It is a space that is utterly gorgeous on it's own, which is why I hadn't given much thought to decorations or floral arrangements. I figured that we'd hang some mason jars or small vases with wild flowers from a few of the chairs lining the aisle and call it a day.

My mom, though, wasn't really convinced that this would be enough (and she is much better at seeing the bigger picture). She asked me if I wanted to have an arch. No, thanks. Well, what about urns of flowers perched on top of the wall or on pedestals like so:

(source)
Don't get me wrong, these arrangements are very lovely but just way too big for my tastes.

And sorry Cupid, you're not invited either.

Then mom suggested something that I think will be the perfect way to add some flowers while at the same time keeping in line with my simple/rustic aesthetic and complementing, instead of taking away from, the natural beauty of the space.


A simple bouquet, like the one above, hanging upside down from the pillars of the brick wall would add some color and just the right amount of pizazz. Here's my (sad) attempt at Photoshopping what it might look like:


Hey, it's good enough to get my point across. For now, I think I'll just let this marinate a bit until the next time I meet with Epting. They might have some ideas that we haven't even thought of yet.

What was your design aesthetic for your wedding? How did you decorate your ceremony space?

2 comments:

  1. I love that idea! Our church was also very beautiful on its own, so we kept things simple with just a couple floral arrangements and handmade pew bows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea! We are doing zero decor for our ceremony, but that is because we are hoping the beautiful surroundings will be enough. And because it isn't really a high priority in the budget for us. If I have time I might DIY some pomander balls though.

    ReplyDelete